SoE wanting to scan your hardware after latest patch

A forum for the general posts relating to MacroQuest. *DEPRECATED: This forum is no longer in public use, but remains here for your reading pleasure. Enjoy

Moderator: MacroQuest Developers

mackster
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 95
Joined: Mon Sep 09, 2002 3:02 pm

SoE wanting to scan your hardware after latest patch

Post by mackster » Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:44 pm

There's an agreement window that pops up 3 times after you log in now after today's patch. Says they want to scan the cpu, video card and ram on your system so they can improve eq etc.

Think that also includes application scanning, or would they specifically have to say they would be scanning the apps you have running?

AlphaBeta
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 126
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2002 12:35 am

Post by AlphaBeta » Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:12 pm

The answer is simple... Answer: NO :P

Mckorr
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2326
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:16 pm
Location: Texas

Post by Mckorr » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:01 pm

It's possible to get machine information without looking at running apps...in fact, if I remember what little XML I learned working on the mouse parser it's actually easier to get the machine info, since it can be structured into on of the XML files.

That being said, do you really think SoE won't take a quick peak elsewhere, using the "oops defense"?

When asked, I'd recommend clicking on "I Disagree", which tells them you do NOT want them scanning your machine. Better safe than sorry.
MQ2: Think of it as Evolution in action.

YKW-28983
a hill giant
a hill giant
Posts: 252
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 11:37 pm

Post by YKW-28983 » Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:07 pm

I have always said no comment or I disagree on their polls and other stuff. I'm paranoid =)