REQUEST: Newbie Guide

A forum for the general posts relating to MacroQuest. *DEPRECATED: This forum is no longer in public use, but remains here for your reading pleasure. Enjoy

Moderator: MacroQuest Developers

Amadeus
The Maestro
The Maestro
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:51 pm

REQUEST: Newbie Guide

Post by Amadeus » Fri Jun 13, 2003 11:43 am

I was wondering if one of you master MQ users, who are not coders but are looking for a way to contribute to the project, would be willing to write a newbie "start up" guide.

I was thinking of something that we could 'sticky' here on the boards especially (would help with replying to newbie questions).

I am thinking of something basically would force people to still "learn" how to get MQ up and running, but yet give a few tips on where to find the information they need and what we will do, and won't do for them. I definately wouldn't want it to be a brainless "baby feeding" on how to get MQ working, but it would be nice to have something that I could say "GO HERE" when we get ethereal newbie questions that are not specific enough to answer.



Also...while I'm here....I think everyone should PM grimjack and harass him into updating the project's readme.html file ...I think he's very qualified to do that ;)

User avatar
grimjack
Macro Author
Macro Author
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:51 am
Contact:

readme.html

Post by grimjack » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:37 pm

I'm not real sure what needs updated. I'll scan through it and look for anything that is no longer true if you want. Maybe expand on some of the information that needs it also. I'll try to find some time to read through the documentation again soon and see if I can lend a hand.

Thanks
GrimJack
When they come to me, they're in trouble, or they want some. I bust people out of prison, hunt down vampires, fight alien gods -- All the fun jobs people are too squeamish or too polite to do themselves.

Call me a mercenary. Call me an assassin. Call me a villain. I am all that and more.

My name's John Gaunt, but out on the streets of Cynosure, I am called...
GrimJack

merkzu
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 2:08 pm

Post by merkzu » Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:50 pm

just buy VC7
Last edited by merkzu on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
grimjack
Macro Author
Macro Author
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:51 am
Contact:

haha

Post by grimjack » Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:03 pm

Great now I'm getting these:


Im requesting some help )

I wanted to know if you can send me the MQ prog compiled, becasue I can't compile it myself ( don'thave Ms VS,a nd can't really get it..)

Thx in advance.

I'm not going to post the name of the person who sent it but seriously folks don't send me these types of PM's. If you want some legit macro help PM me but don't send me these kinds of requests.

Thanks
When they come to me, they're in trouble, or they want some. I bust people out of prison, hunt down vampires, fight alien gods -- All the fun jobs people are too squeamish or too polite to do themselves.

Call me a mercenary. Call me an assassin. Call me a villain. I am all that and more.

My name's John Gaunt, but out on the streets of Cynosure, I am called...
GrimJack

Amadeus
The Maestro
The Maestro
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Amadeus » Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:46 pm

I wanted to know if you can send me the MQ prog compiled, becasue I can't compile it myself ( don'thave Ms VS,a nd can't really get it..)
This kind of crap is very lame. If you can't afford to buy VS.Net or VS 6.0 or whatnot...then, you need to save up your money. A few months of EQ money saved up and you'll be able to buy it.

merkzu
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 99
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 2:08 pm

Post by merkzu » Fri Jun 13, 2003 8:47 pm

VS is a good investment
Last edited by merkzu on Tue Jun 17, 2003 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amadeus
The Maestro
The Maestro
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Amadeus » Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:37 am

VS = a trained monkey could compile.

I think I might have to kill bazaar casino operators at random if I have to start explaining to newbies how to compile with anything other than VS

Mckorr
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2326
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:16 pm
Location: Texas

Post by Mckorr » Sat Jun 14, 2003 10:24 am

lol Welcome to my world Grim, I get those all the time, with offers of vast amounts of plat for my Horse Fund.

Too bad no one is on my server :)

Oh, and Grim? I'm still waiting for that macro that will level my paladin from 52 to 60, with 26 AA points :)


P.S. Before I get a ton of PMs asking which server I'm on, I'm not selling compiled versions of MQ, for real money or for plat. I learned to compile it, you can too. It's not that hard, and DKAA has made it absolutely simple.
MQ2: Think of it as Evolution in action.

User avatar
grimjack
Macro Author
Macro Author
Posts: 525
Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 6:51 am
Contact:

Post by grimjack » Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:15 pm

Mckorr wrote: Oh, and Grim? I'm still waiting for that macro that will level my paladin from 52 to 60, with 26 AA points :)
See I already wrote this... I like to call it "The greatest macro in the world". Unfortunatly my power went out here before I could save the include file so this is not the greatest macro in the world. This is a tribute.

Code: Select all

#include greatest-macro.inc
Sub main
   /call PL-from-52-to-60
   /call Get-26-AA-points
   /call Spend-points
   /call Summon-Steed
   /call Rejoice
/return
When they come to me, they're in trouble, or they want some. I bust people out of prison, hunt down vampires, fight alien gods -- All the fun jobs people are too squeamish or too polite to do themselves.

Call me a mercenary. Call me an assassin. Call me a villain. I am all that and more.

My name's John Gaunt, but out on the streets of Cynosure, I am called...
GrimJack

User avatar
vzmule
Contributing Member
Contributing Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:56 pm

Post by vzmule » Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:49 pm

Amadeus,
If the general consensus among the core devs are that they'd like a newbie guide posted, I can post the email I send to peeps who ask me for help.

I'd rather people use the search feature here in the forum and in google to piece together the answers for themselves though as our userbase is an okay size right now, but none of us want it getting too widely used.

Amadeus
The Maestro
The Maestro
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Amadeus » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:01 pm

I was thinking of just enough info to stop the *VERY* annoying questions.

Even a FAQ of smart-ass questions and answers would probably be good *laugh* ...and funny even.