Page 1 of 1

SoE wanting to scan your hardware after latest patch

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:44 pm
by mackster
There's an agreement window that pops up 3 times after you log in now after today's patch. Says they want to scan the cpu, video card and ram on your system so they can improve eq etc.

Think that also includes application scanning, or would they specifically have to say they would be scanning the apps you have running?

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 2:12 pm
by AlphaBeta
The answer is simple... Answer: NO :P

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:01 pm
by Mckorr
It's possible to get machine information without looking at running apps...in fact, if I remember what little XML I learned working on the mouse parser it's actually easier to get the machine info, since it can be structured into on of the XML files.

That being said, do you really think SoE won't take a quick peak elsewhere, using the "oops defense"?

When asked, I'd recommend clicking on "I Disagree", which tells them you do NOT want them scanning your machine. Better safe than sorry.

Posted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 3:07 pm
by YKW-28983
I have always said no comment or I disagree on their polls and other stuff. I'm paranoid =)