Should we remove perl entirely?

A forum for feature requests/discussions and user submitted patches that improve MQ2

Moderator: MacroQuest Developers

Full removal of PERL

YES: It's cluttering the directory
16
47%
YES: It's outdated and probably doesn't work
14
41%
NO: It's useful for sample code
2
6%
NO: I use it!
2
6%
 
Total votes: 34

Plazmic
The One
The One
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:31 am
Contact:

Should we remove perl entirely?

Post by Plazmic » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:54 am

Ideas?
- Plazmic

Plazmic
The One
The One
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:31 am
Contact:

Post by Plazmic » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:44 am

Ok, 10/10 say yank it.
I'll yank it when I fix the new variables (almost done)
- Plazmic

Mckorr
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2326
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:16 pm
Location: Texas

Post by Mckorr » Fri Oct 03, 2003 9:00 am

I've been voting to have it pulled out for a while. Changes to both EQ and MQ past and present make it outdated.

I understand folks were using it to call external programs such as Winamp and ShowEQ, but EQ has a built in player, and the new mapping system makes ShowEQ unnecessary for the basic user. I'm sure there are other things it can be used for, but the MQ scripting language has evolved to the point where additional, external scripting doesn't seem terrible necessary.

Perhaps we should consider rebuilding MQ a bit to allow plugins. That way folks could develop a PERL plugin, etc. if they wanted it. Not sure how feasible this is considering the current integrated state of the PERL calls in the source code.
MQ2: Think of it as Evolution in action.

Amadeus
The Maestro
The Maestro
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Amadeus » Fri Oct 03, 2003 10:41 am

I never really thought it was a priority because it's not broke and who knows..someone might want to use it someday.

I say leave it.

Plazmic
The One
The One
Posts: 800
Joined: Fri Jun 14, 2002 12:31 am
Contact:

Post by Plazmic » Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:07 pm

"NO: It's useful for sample code" is actually "YES: yank it, I can grab it from the CVS repository if I want to look at it for a sample"

So the votes have been 25 yes, 0 no... it was yanked ;)
- Plazmic

Nanan
orc pawn
orc pawn
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:21 pm

Post by Nanan » Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:35 pm

Good, less garbage in the MQ folder.. now to clean up some of the other old code thats strewn about through out the program...

Amadeus
The Maestro
The Maestro
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Amadeus » Fri Oct 03, 2003 5:06 pm

/shrug

It never bothered me in coding and I always like having features around even if I don't use it. Hell, I remember when someone was bound and determined to remove the Telnet session option from the program a few months ago!

We're not to the point of code bloat, in my opinion. Although, stuff that is broken that will always be broken due to new SOE code, should be nixed.


Actually, a re-write of the parser system would be more helpful to reading through code than anything else ..hehe. Although what a hell of a job that would be ..hehe ...was bad enough just splitting EQLib.cpp up in the first place.