A quick "heads up" on something

A forum for the general posts relating to MacroQuest. *DEPRECATED: This forum is no longer in public use, but remains here for your reading pleasure. Enjoy

Moderator: MacroQuest Developers

Amadeus
The Maestro
The Maestro
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:51 pm

A quick "heads up" on something

Post by Amadeus » Wed May 14, 2003 11:31 pm

Everyone probably knows that under your alt-m window is a "socials" tab, with 12 hotbuttons on each page, for 10 pages.

However, what you may not know is that everytime you create a hotbutton (for ANY reason) it is added to that list of 120 hotbuttons (serving as a kind of 'memory' of it for future reference). So, myself for example, I went there and saw hotbuttons I created last May!!

NOW, the reason for posting: EVERY hotbutton you have on your client is loaded into memory. So, if you have ever created a hotbutton that included "/macro blahblah" ..or anything else that included in it anything that refers to macroquest....it would not be difficult for SOE to detect it :)

So...the moral of the story: Don't create hotbuttons that have text in it that would give you away as having used MQ ;)

Zelarian
decaying skeleton
decaying skeleton
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 3:03 am
Location: CA
Contact:

Post by Zelarian » Thu May 15, 2003 3:05 am

errr.. I made a macro hotkey ( /macro pok ) and i use it all the time... How does making a macro hotkey make it easier for soe to detect it?
Nuukd`

zedisdeadbaby
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:24 pm

Post by zedisdeadbaby » Thu May 15, 2003 3:22 am

they can read inside their EQ directory on the hard drive or in the EQ address space in memory. i used to have an ENDMACRO button and knew they could read my hotbuttons, but bet they wouldnt bother. my account is still not banned.
Zelarian wrote:errr.. I made a macro hotkey ( /macro pok ) and i use it all the time... How does making a macro hotkey make it easier for soe to detect it?

User avatar
dont_know_at_all
Developer
Developer
Posts: 5450
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2002 4:15 am
Location: Florida, USA
Contact:

Post by dont_know_at_all » Thu May 15, 2003 3:36 am

The hotkeys are not sent to the server.

I know this was checked in the past but I don't know if it is still true.

Plus, putting a bogus command in your hotkey doesn't break the EULA.

Amadeus
The Maestro
The Maestro
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Amadeus » Thu May 15, 2003 3:39 am

I suppose my point was simply that it is there, in eqgame.exe's memory, if they decided to look for it. That's all.

cybernerd
a lesser mummy
a lesser mummy
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 11:05 pm

Post by cybernerd » Thu May 15, 2003 9:07 am

I changed a few commands to other things that are less recognisable like from /macro to /smiley. Anyone that has ever played their account on someone else's computer should have realized that ALL of your settings are kept local. All your skin data, chat windows, hotkeys, everything. Server only maintains character data, and not UI information.

:)

-The Nerd

Mckorr
Developer
Developer
Posts: 2326
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:16 pm
Location: Texas

Post by Mckorr » Thu May 15, 2003 10:33 am

Sometimes I wish they DID store hotkeys on the server, so if I play at a friend's I don't have to carry my ini files with me.

However, having 3 computers at home with three different accounts, let me assure you the hotkeys are stored in the local EQ directory. If I log my wife's character on using my computer, none of her hotkeys carry over. If she wants to play on my (much faster) computer, we have to copy her ini files over to the new comp for her to use them.

Amadeus
The Maestro
The Maestro
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Amadeus » Thu May 15, 2003 11:51 am

They are stored locally; however, they are read into memory each time.

Zelarian
decaying skeleton
decaying skeleton
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu May 15, 2003 3:03 am
Location: CA
Contact:

Post by Zelarian » Thu May 15, 2003 6:20 pm

But if Verant finds me to be suspicious, they can check my eqgame.exe file?
Nuukd`

Amadeus
The Maestro
The Maestro
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Amadeus » Thu May 15, 2003 6:26 pm

/sigh ....nevermind

compuboy
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:19 am
Location: Good Question, if anyone finds out, let me know

Post by compuboy » Thu May 15, 2003 8:01 pm

Hey, matters not to me i personally have a /macro pally_nofollow, /macro pallyAFK, and /endmacro

I dont care at this point, cause guess what is comming out in about 6moths guys.... EQII

yes thats right, this winter it is comming out and I look forward to abandoning EQ completely and getting a fresh start on the ground floor. Not that they really have time to go through all those logs, if the did, and they banned me.... I would not care really.

anywho thats my 2cp