Regarding Donations and asking a favor

A forum for the general posts relating to MacroQuest. *DEPRECATED: This forum is no longer in public use, but remains here for your reading pleasure. Enjoy

Moderator: MacroQuest Developers

AarynD
a lesser mummy
a lesser mummy
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:25 am

Regarding Donations and asking a favor

Post by AarynD » Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:13 pm

I used MQ for about 3 weeks? before the new UI seriously broke it, and then up until patches made it totally unuseable. In the short time I had full use of it, I fell in love with it, and made a donation to help keep the project alive.

I understand the original programmer is no longer part of this, and a team of other developers are now working on it. I no longer use MQ, but would like to again, and would like to donate again to the new developers to continue the project (I can always hope click will be functional again someday, go go tradeskills).

Anyway, to the core of the matter... While I can write simple little scripts, I know absolutely nothing about C++, or anything at all about C compilers. I know that only the source is released now, and each individual is expected to compile his/her own source to create the executables. Would it be possible to get a compiled distribution sent to me if I made a decent donation? I have no C compiler, and do not expect to get one. I wouldn't even know how to use the thing if I had it.

I'm asking this seriously, not looking for flames and such. I know the developers are working hard on this. I'd just like to be able to go back to using MQ again, and "pay" the developers via my donation.

Thanks

Vaft
a lesser mummy
a lesser mummy
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:39 am

Post by Vaft » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:34 pm

Donations are great, but if you want my honest suggestion:

Take the money that you are considering donating and put it towards getting a copy of VC++... Believe me, you will be much better off. It's really not all that hard, and the people here are more than willing to help you if you run into problems compiling. And once you've got it figured out, you won't have to rely on anyone else to create a binary for you on patch day.

It's worth it.

Amadeus
The Maestro
The Maestro
Posts: 2036
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2002 3:51 pm

Post by Amadeus » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:24 pm

Honestly...once you install VS.net ...about all you have to do is open the project and click 'build solution' ..hehe

Well, you have download a few support files, but the info is in the README. Otherwise, I found it compiles very easily.

AarynD
a lesser mummy
a lesser mummy
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:25 am

Thanks all, decided to give it a go

Post by AarynD » Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:16 am

I found a copy of Visual Studio 6 (I used for Foxpro programming only, never had installed the C stuff). Gonna give that a shot and see if I can get that compiler installed. What else do I need? Do I need to go to the M$ site and download the .NET framework also?

Once I install visual C++ 6, and .NET, where should I go for help in getting this working? Should I post questions in here, or MacroQuest::Help forums?

hehe, I feel like such a baby with all this, unsure of what I'm doing...

Thanks for prodding me forward, making me take steps into the unknown :p

Non M$ Coder
a lesser mummy
a lesser mummy
Posts: 43
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:00 pm

Post by Non M$ Coder » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:18 pm

There is a good thread to walk you through the compile in vc++6.0, I'd link it but I don't have it bookmarked at work. There are basically 2 learning curves you have to go up, but neither is that terribly bad. The first is getting MQ to comile (the afore mentioned thread should help with that), the second is getting a cvs client installed and operational, the cvs link off the main page has a subsequent link to cvs basics. You will have to check out the code from the cvs repository since the zip file isn't up to date last I checked. Once you get it set up, grabbing the latests code will be very simple.

Eric

--edit--
Did a quick search, here's the thread I was talking about:
http://macroquest2.com/phpBB2/viewtopic ... ht=compile

You may want to read through the whole thing first (there are 7 pages of essages), very helpful stuff in there.

Clawed
a ghoul
a ghoul
Posts: 105
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:17 am

Post by Clawed » Thu Apr 17, 2003 7:09 pm

Also, in answer to your question, you don't have to download the .NET framework, since MQ doesn't use any .NET-specific stuff (or even any MFC stuff, as far as I know).
Clawed